CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, February 15, 2009

WWII Letter

Warsaw Base Hospital
5253 Avon St.
Warsaw, Poland

Dear Eric,

I couldn't have believed it if I hadn’t seen what my eyes told me. It all happened…

You probably heard by now, Germany's attack on us. I would call my self one of the luckiest of all two million of us fighting for our lives. Only about two hundred of the two million survived this epidemic loss. I was sure I wasn’t going to make it out of this blood bath battle alive. I mean, who would have such hope at that time? The Germans charged in, with what they called a “Blitzkrieg.” They clearly had the upper hand here. The sheer speed of the machine was what shocked us. They had radios inside for communication, which was why they could control their air force so successfully and make use of their support. And even though the blitzkrieg sounds like the most complex machinery made, the simplicity of it was quite over whelming; The tank, radio and aircraft. The way it could just literally crush over people. It didn’t need to stick to one road or path. It rampaged on to wherever it wanted to, and began attacking.
Blood was all that could be seen for the most part. Dead bodies scattered across the floor like shredded paper. All I could see at that moment was clouds of smoke, spreading over the vast area of the field. Blackness and smog choking us, some to their death.
Though we outnumbered them with our troops, they overtook us with their power. We were weak though, our food rations were low and people were getting angry and irritated with all this.
It was unexpected, without any declaration of war.

I hope no one has to experience something like that ever again.

I’m in the hospital now, along with the remaining survivors. I have some free time now, to write a few lines back home. They had to surgically remove my left foot, as shrapnel from the blasts and explosions pierced into my skin. I wont be able to walk properly ever again, but this action was necessary. I’m not ashamed of this because I fought as hard as I could. Even though, this is like a scar from the battle that I will limp on for the rest of my life. It’s a price I had to pay for my country. Our army gave up a lot in this great battle to protect our people, but how are we supposed to win against giant man killing machines when we are on horseback with swords and guns? We fought bravely, us all, and the most valuable thing we lost was our unity, our people. We were the first to fall…lets wait to see who will be next now.

Your Brother,
Frank

0 comments: